FREE Public Policy Statement
If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.
- Alexander Hamilton
Message from the Founder:
My mother was a social worker for over 30 years. It is she that has helped shape and guide my feminist and multicultural principles. As a social worker, scholar, entrepreneur and policy enthusiast, I am commitment to diversity and social justice, which means that I strive to attend to issues of power, privilege, and oppression in all areas of my life. As a result, I am committed to these principles are:
- Ongoing self-examination, including vigilance regarding power dynamics and the assumptions and values underlying our views, goals, and commitments.
- Sharing power, including transparency about power differences, engaging in collaborative processes when appropriate, and fostering the power of marginalized individuals and groups.
- Amplifying and attending to the voices and experiences of groups and individuals with relatively less power.
- Consciousness raising by attending to how individual or group difficulties may be shaped by political, societal, institutional, interpersonal, and other contextual power dynamics.
- Focusing on people’s strengths and engaging these strengths to address challenges, including working toward social change.
- Promoting self-determination with the people I work with by developing tools that are informed by the needs and experiences of the constituent communities.
IT IS THE AIM OF FREE TO BE DELIBERATE AND UNEQUIVOCABLE IN OUR STANCE ON IMPORTANT ISSUES THAT AFFECT US ALL AS AN ORGANIZATION:
- We support sensible Gun Control Laws
- We support alternatives to long-term solitary confinement
- We believe DACA is cruel, unwise and unjustified
- We support the transgender community
- We denounce xenophobia and stand in solidary with immigrants
- We support a platform of criminal justice reform
- We support a woman’s right to self-determination of her body
- We support Federal Legalization of marijuana
- We support Gender equality